Baatorian's Domain
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

D&D - Sword Coast - From the Giants Lair....

4 posters

Go down

D&D - Sword Coast - From the Giants Lair.... Empty D&D - Sword Coast - From the Giants Lair....

Post by illumination 13th December 2008, 7:19 am

You depart a smashed and blackened valley, a pall of smoke in the air, visible for miles around. Between you, and with more than a casual eye on each other you carry your hard won treasure back to the Abbey, the safest and most private location for a priceless stash of art. As it happens it a heavy trek, but as the sun begins to set you arrive at your mountain homestead of the last 18 months or so.

The place still looks a ruin from the outside, however Malaki's improvements and the efforts of your 'staff' have warmed things up some. A selection of communal rooms in the middle of the mountain are now habitable, along with your individual quarters. One of the towers has even been dug out, for Limnoch to move into if he so wishes.

After a passable meal in the 'dining room' in the heart of the building, you look at the heap of loot you all piled at one end of the table. Everyone seems to be waiting for someone else to open the bidding....

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

OOC Bit. There is the following to be divided:

4300gp
5x700gp gems (3500)
200pp (2000)
10000sp (1000)

A Rod of flame extinguishing.
A Wand of Identify (10 Charges)

And finally and most importantly, the Netherilise treasures:

Battle Gorget of the Shade-King.

A silver piece armour, designed to be work on the neck. Intricately designed but unadorned it consists of layers and many scales of metal which interlink smoothly, impeding movement not a bit.

+2AC (+1 deflection bonus and +1 armour bonus)
Immunity to petrification.
Spell Immunity to Charm Person, Suggestion. (SR 30 against those spells)

Heartspike

A dull white shortbow, carved from either ivory or bone, this weapon is as light as a feather. It is strung by a impossibly thin black cord of a type that is unfamiliar. Intricate carvings of disrobed women cavorting with devils stretch up and down its length.

Bow +3/+6 vs Dragons/Constructs/Goblinoids (No strength mod)
Trackless Step 1/day.

The Nether Scrolls.

A collection of stone tablets, written in a Netherilise arcane dialect. It is translatable, but will take plenty of study. All but one of the tablets seem to pertain to magical academia, albeit they may contain secrets lost for thousands of years. The odd one out actually functions as a scroll and may be cast as such. (Its 10lbs of stone mind)

In game terms:

The following spells are present: Claws of Darkness (2nd FRCS), Locate Creature 4th (PHB), Clairaudience/Clairvoyance 3rd (PHB), Nightmare 5th (PHB), Great Shout 8th (FRCS), Flensing 8th (FRCS), Mages Disjunction 9th (PHB).

One scroll of Gate 9th (PHB) (28th level caster)

The spells only account for about 20% of the writings. Other game effects may crop up as the tablets are better understood. There is at least a decade worth of study involved in them.
illumination
illumination
VOTE NAZI TANK!
VOTE NAZI TANK!

Back to top Go down

D&D - Sword Coast - From the Giants Lair.... Empty Re: D&D - Sword Coast - From the Giants Lair....

Post by Tromador 13th December 2008, 9:07 am

IC:

Slangsby would be jealous if only he had a brain, as Billy and Mandy (who make a lovely couple) stomp their way up around the abbey, at least the parts they fit in. Still a pair of strong backs is helping considerably with the refurbishment.

Limnoch meantime, has secreted himself in his new tower, rarely speaking to anyone, making notes on the teachings of his recent mentor Faelwen and beginning his studies of the Netherese tablets.

OOC:

Those items are of very limited value to Limnoch, even though it's supposed to be his pick. He can't use a bow, already had armour and already has a ring of protection.

What is the score with the spells? Standard 1 day to understand and 1 day to scribe (those within my ability anyway). The illusion spells maybe we can sell. They are my prohibited school, so useless to all of us.

>> Response>> Normal scribing rules apply, x2 on time taken.
Tromador
Tromador
Burnination in my Pantination

Back to top Go down

D&D - Sword Coast - From the Giants Lair.... Empty Re: D&D - Sword Coast - From the Giants Lair....

Post by The Dark Power 13th December 2008, 9:35 am

IC

Sounds of steel on anvil ring out through the Abbey as do the sounds of Kota grumbling 'fecking gigants, breakin me sword'. Quite an industry seems to be breaking out as replacement swords as well as axes and various other weapons begin to take shape.

On one of his frequent breaks Kota can be found examining the new items.

'Very fine, very fine indeed' he says, holding them up to the light. 'Well I'm torn. Not my choice I guess as we discussed, but here's me thoughts; struck me that I was somewhat limited on the ranged front in our last battle. Two o' yer gotcha spells, Armans pretty sure with his javelins, I got nothin though. Woulda been much more effective if I'd had summink to hurl. The bow'd be ideal, I even like the design' he grins.

'Still if it lets ya hide yer steps as one o' ya said, then maybe it'd suit Arman better? Dunno, I'll take it if the rest o' yer'll allow it. If not I'd gladly take the armoured neck piece, powerful bit o' art there. Not sure what I'd do with the rod really, useful sometimes, but not that often.

Way I see it there's no fair deal to be had for those who don't take either the Neck Piece or the bow, no amount o' coin that'd be equal to 'em. Sammy and Limnox get the spell scrolls of course, difficult one on the other bits though........'

OOC

Only two items that Kota's interested in as detailed above. The bow'd be ideal as he's the only one with no ranged attacks, the neckpiece as he is the main stand up fighter of the group and the higher the AC the better obviously.

He'll accept coin if he has to I guess, but will stress the ranged attack issue and 'strengthening the group as a whole', the wily old bastard ;0)

Kota also wants to craft two Masterwork Bastard Swords, + some throwing axes and maybe a few other weapons...not sure yet. Gonna tool up after the last fight anyway. Someone let me know how much time I have and whether I can do it? Basically just wanna get some standard PHB equipment, nothing extravagant.

Also any chance of getting hold of some healing potions? Maybe by either popping to a nearby magic item store Smile or perhaps by sending word to see if Malaki can source some for him?

Last edited by The Dark Power on 13th December 2008, 9:47 am; edited 1 time in total
The Dark Power
The Dark Power
NiNJA! WiT' tEh H0nEYZ!
NiNJA! WiT' tEh H0nEYZ!

Back to top Go down

Post by Tromador 13th December 2008, 10:16 am

OOC

Well, I just deleted my post. Do us a favour Joe and don't post a half finished item. Write it in notepad if you need to hang on to the text whilst you are contemplating.
Tromador
Tromador

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dark Power 13th December 2008, 10:20 am

OOC

Too quick off the mark my friend, it was a matter of moments. I just send as I write so I don't lose the post as has happened several times.

I've kinda done likewise. I can't seem to delete the post entirely though, so I'd be grateful if an admin could remove the offending pair of dashes that are left.
The Dark Power
The Dark Power
NiNJA! WiT' tEh H0nEYZ!
NiNJA! WiT' tEh H0nEYZ!

Back to top Go down

Post by ^^Truth 13th December 2008, 11:34 pm

-----------------------------
This thread is now property of DM Baatorian. Obey the rules or be attacked by giant vermin with Cackle Fever.

Kota - You begin work on a Masterwork Bastard Sword, it will take approximately 3 months to make and cost you 361 gold and 3 silver.

Limnoch - As said. The spells take longer to scribe (x2 rate) because they must be translated and understood first. Write them down in the order you wish to learn them and you can roll when the next game beginnings in order to learn them, until time is up.

Arman paces the main hall, the various loot scattered out upon the main table roughly in their respective piles. His mood seems neutral for a change, casually appraising the items and gems on show.

"Well, the wand is for the group, that much is obvious. Myself and Limnoch still have a pick, but it seems he has declined to take his..." he begins, his voice cracking into a hiss on several occasions.

"I am somewhat split, we have several ancient items of obvious power, but yet neither reach out to me strong enough for me to use my reserved claim on an item... infact, I would suggest that the gorget would suit Saamech well, while Kota is welcome to the bow if he wishes, yet then this is a second treasure haul myself and Limnoch have not delved into, or at least I am recieving nothing."

"If we split our new magical stash in the way I suggested, I require an additional pick from future loots of my choosing and a little more gold than those with any of the new magical items"
he hisses, picking up one of the gems and holding it to the lit fireplace briefly, before putting it back down precisely as it were.

"There is approximately thirteen thousand in gold, I suggest we put one thousand aside for the expenses of the abbey, that leaves twelve thousand between us four, if we divide the magical items as I suggest myself and Limnoch recieve three and a half thousand each, Saamech and Kota would then recieve two and a half thousand each and the two powerful items of art."

"Naturally myself and Limnoch recieve an additional pick if satisfactory."
he hisses, sitting himself down at the head of the table and picking up his bong for a long, relaxed smoke whilst he listens.
^^Truth
^^Truth
Super Nazi Admin
Super Nazi Admin

http://baatorian.ripz.org/

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dark Power 14th December 2008, 12:18 am

Kota nods 'Well that sounds fair, I gotta admit though that neever of these stands totally out at me either. The bow I'll wield, but can't help feeling it's power to cover yer tracks suits you better than I.

Howsabout this - I'll wield the bow in combat, but it remains the property of the group. If we encounter a situation where it'd suit one o' you stealthy lot then you'll wield it, if we're strapped fer cash then we sell it, trade it, whatever, then everyone benefits.

Yeah I guess the Gorget suits Saamech what wiv it's charm majicks and all, so no worries for that.'

OOC

OK, d'you reckon 3 months might be a little long? - I can make a bastard sword on a roll of 7 or higher, so that's one weeks work. It's base price is 350 Silver, DC 18. A roll of 20 (I have +13 so 7 or higher) will do it in one go (20x18=360).

The masterwork section is much tougher. It's DC is 20, base price 3000SP, but again I only need a roll of 7 or higher to succeed each time. Assuming I roll a seven each time it'd take 7.5 weeks (3000/400) so that's 8 and a half weeks to make the whole thing, about two months.

So assuming I fuck some rolls up but also roll some high ones which'd speed the process, can we assume two months? Else can I roll?

We can assume the masterwork sword is a work in progress if I don't have enough down time anyway.

Also, is it OK if I just buy some standard PHB equipment in between adventures? Also what about the healing potions?

DM NOTE : A month is 3 weeks in Faerun, weeks are 10 days each.
The Dark Power
The Dark Power
NiNJA! WiT' tEh H0nEYZ!
NiNJA! WiT' tEh H0nEYZ!

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dark Power 14th December 2008, 12:33 am

OOC

Haha, wicked, the PHBs written assuming there's four weeks to a month however.......craft skills are all more time consuming in Faerun?

Not too fussed either way.

So, how much time passes between adventures?, and again can I buy some standard PHB equipment in between adventures? Also what about the healing potions?
The Dark Power
The Dark Power
NiNJA! WiT' tEh H0nEYZ!
NiNJA! WiT' tEh H0nEYZ!

Back to top Go down

Post by ^^Truth 14th December 2008, 12:39 am

Arman nods briefly, a trail of smoke drifting from his nostrils, "Assume the bow is yours Kota, if no one has any objections and if you are happy for me to use it's power to aid my stealth, then so be it.. I do not suspect I will have to have the bow for any period of time to activate it's enchanced stealth capabilities."

"What say you all?"
he asks, before dragging deeply on his bong.

---------------------
DM Mod
---------------------

No, you can't buy anything just yet, but the opportunity will come up quick enough, so I wouldn't worry too hard. Yes, the PHB does assume it's normal earth times, it doesn't make too much difference to the speed of the creation really, we came to the rough same time period.

For some reason the rest of the information I wrote on your post went missing, so I'll say it here. I mistook the cost of masterwork weaponry and thought it was 350 GP and not 300 GP, so it will take roughly two and a half months to create and cost 311 GP and 5 SP (50GP cheaper)
^^Truth
^^Truth
Super Nazi Admin
Super Nazi Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dark Power 14th December 2008, 12:55 am

OOC

OK Kota is effectively weaponless at the mo, that's all! know I have the maul, it's just awkward having to recalculate all my to-hit rolls. Do I have enough time to make the masterwork bastard sword?
The Dark Power
The Dark Power
NiNJA! WiT' tEh H0nEYZ!
NiNJA! WiT' tEh H0nEYZ!

Back to top Go down

Post by ^^Truth 14th December 2008, 1:17 am

DM

Actually Arman has taken his maul back. Arman does have a spare Masterwork Longsword you can borrow temporarily though.

Yes, it's good to have multiple weapons.
^^Truth
^^Truth
Super Nazi Admin
Super Nazi Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Tromador 14th December 2008, 1:32 am

OOC (Spells)

Claws of Darkness is Illusion school and thus prohibited.
Nightmare is Illusion school and thus prohibited.

So until I reach the heady heights of L16 the only ones I can cast are Locate Monster and Clairaudience/Clairvoyance.

Therefore start with those and then the others in ascending order of level.

Additionally Lim has some standard issue scrolls to copy.

Gaseous Form
Magic Jar
Plane Shift

On the subject of spell copying, Mike from time with Faelwen am I able to copy either/both of the obscure spells in her spellbook fragment?
Tromador
Tromador

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dark Power 14th December 2008, 4:00 am

OOC

I note you haven't answered my question again! ;0)

Do I have time to make the masterwork sword?

If not I make a standard bastard sword.

^^Truth wrote:-----------------------------
DM

Actually Arman has taken his maul back. Arman does have a spare Masterwork Longsword you can borrow temporarily though.

Yes, it's good to have multiple weapons.

Last edited by The Dark Power on 14th December 2008, 12:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
The Dark Power
The Dark Power
NiNJA! WiT' tEh H0nEYZ!
NiNJA! WiT' tEh H0nEYZ!

Back to top Go down

Post by illumination 14th December 2008, 7:03 am

Saamech looks up from playing with his food in a look of mild suprise.

'Hmmm. I had already written off the powerful items of art in this pick, yet im happy to look after the gorget for the time being.'

'A lesser award of gold seems reasonable in the circumstances as well, I kinda owe Limnoch one with regard to scrolls so he is welcome to keep that particular earth shattering magik. I hope he has fun with it...'

Saamech grins and tosses his napkin on the plate.

'What is next for us I wonder, I assume you all have things to do, craft, enchant, what have you. Im rather at a loss, It would be bad to go back down into the catacombs again, I fear time spent down there is not good for me.'

'Im sure I will come up with something. Maybe some quality time with my young cousin is in order.'
illumination
illumination
VOTE NAZI TANK!
VOTE NAZI TANK!

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dark Power 14th December 2008, 12:30 pm

Kota busies himself collecting the sharper cutlery from the kitchen and a length of wood with a nail sticking from it and arming himself thusly....
The Dark Power
The Dark Power
NiNJA! WiT' tEh H0nEYZ!
NiNJA! WiT' tEh H0nEYZ!

Back to top Go down

Post by ^^Truth 14th December 2008, 11:39 pm

-----------------------
DM Stuff
-----------------------

Well, I did actually reply, but it was in the post of yours that I edited, which all got lost somehow and I forgot to readded it.

Yes, you can make a bastard sword.
^^Truth
^^Truth
Super Nazi Admin
Super Nazi Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dark Power 14th December 2008, 11:50 pm

OOC

Wahoo!
The Dark Power
The Dark Power
NiNJA! WiT' tEh H0nEYZ!
NiNJA! WiT' tEh H0nEYZ!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down